Tackling Societal Challenges for a Better Society is one of the three key objectives of Horizon 2020. It benefits from 38.53% of the budget for 2014-2020.
For each of the identified societal challenges, dedicated Work Programmes set up the thematic priorities and topics that will be open to calls for proposals in the next 2 years. The Work programme for 2016-2017 is published. Many opportunities are available for SMEs and other Brussels-based organisations.
The 7 key challenges for the society that research and innovation projects shall address are:
• Health, demographic change and wellbeing (9.70% of H2020 budget)
• Food security, sustainable agriculture, marine and maritime research and bioeconomy (5% of H2020 budget)
• Securing reliable, clean and efficient Energy (7.70% of H2020 budget)
• Intelligent and green Transport (8.23% of H2020 budget)
• Climate action, resource efficiency and raw materials (4% of H2020 budget)
• Inclusive, innovative and reflective societies (1.70% of H2020 budget)
• Secure Societies (2.20% of H2020 budget)