Are you looking for EU funded Research and Innovation opportunities for a project idea in the field of Energy?
Find here, among the many EU funding opportunities for companies, researchers, civil society and innovators, the programmes relevant to your project.
Horizon 2020 is the 2014-2020 EU funding programme for Research and Innovation. It covers the whole research and innovation value chain, from large-scale international collaborative research projects to smaller projects with an objective of market and societal impact.
Horizon 2020 is implemented through biannual work programmes, setting all the calls for proposals and the topics for funding. Every year calls for proposals are open for these pre-defined research and innovation topics.
Under Horizon 2020, Energy stakeholders are addressed mostly in the work Programmes of the following Societal Challenges:
- Societal Challenge 3 "Secure, Clean and Efficient Energy"
- “Cross-cutting activities”: Focus Areas Smart & Sustainable Cities (for lighthouse projects under Smart Cities and Communities)
Calls for proposals from other societal challenges might be of interest for the Energy sector, in particular:
- Societal Challenge 2 “Food Security, Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry, Marine, Maritime and Inland Water Research and the Bioeconomy”, for projects addressing biomass production and marine energy
- Societal Challenge 4 “Smart, green and integrated transport” for energy efficiency in transport, green vehicles and alternative fuels
- Societal Challenge 5 for “Cross-cutting activities”: Focus Areas Smart & Sustainable Cities (for innovative nature-based solutions in cities)
- Societal Challenge 6 “Europe in a changing world” for Science with and for Society
- Societal Challenge 7 “Secure societies” for Critical Infrastructures
More information also with the infographic: €212 million for Energy Efficiency in 2018 and 2019 (source)
Did you know that you could have opportunities within other areas? For calls for proposals from other societal challenges that might be of interest for the health sector, please check the SYNERGIES here.
For other specific instruments please see our section SMEs : Menu EU Funding >> SMEs
The Energy sector will also find funding opportunities in other sectors of the pillar "Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies" (LEIT) and in particular in the work programmes related to the following sectors:
EUROSTARS is a transnational funding scheme from the EUREKA Programme. Its aim is to help “R&D performing SMEs” whatever the sector to get their innovation faster to the market and lead international R&D projects. You can contact INNOVIRIS for more information. EUROSTARS-2 is open to all sectors.
FUEL CELLS AND HYDROGEN 2 JOINT UNDERTAKING (FCH JU)
The Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking (FCH JU) is a unique public private partnership supporting research, technological development and demonstration (RTD) activities in fuel cell and hydrogen energy technologies in Europe. Its aim is to accelerate the market introduction of these technologies, realising their potential as an instrument in achieving a carbon-lean energy system. The three members of the FCH JU are the European Commission, fuel cell and hydrogen industries represented by the NEW Industry Grouping and the research community represented by Research Grouping N.ERGHY.