Are you looking for EU funded Research and Innovation opportunities for a project idea in the field of Climate Action, Eco-Innovative Solutions, Resource Efficiency, Circular Economy, Sustainable Cities?
Find here, among the many EU funding opportunities for companies, researchers, civil society and innovators, the programmes relevant to your project.
Horizon 2020 is the 2014-2020 EU funding programme for Research and Innovation. It covers the whole research and innovation value chain, from large-scale international collaborative research projects to smaller projects with an objective of market and societal impact.
Horizon 2020 is implemented through biannual work programmes, setting all the calls for proposals and the topics for funding. Every year calls for proposals are open for these pre-defined research and innovation topics.
Under Horizon 2020, Greentech stakeholders are addressed mostly in the work Programmes of the following Societal Challenges:
- Societal Challenge 5 "Climate action, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials" (climate services, eco-innovation, low carbon Europe, earth observation, raw materials extraction and recovery, cultural heritage).
- “Cross-cutting activities”: Focus Areas "Smart & Sustainable Cities" (for innovative nature-based solutions in cities).
Calls for proposals from other Societal Challenges might be of interest for the Greentech sector, in particular:
- Societal Challenge 3 “Secure, Clean and Efficient Energy” for projects with a focus on the energy part of a green project (energy efficiency or renewable energy).
- Societal Challenge 2 “Food Security, Sustainable Agriculture and Forestry, Marine and Maritime and Inland Water Research and the Bioeconomy” for green projects addressing the agro food processes and value chain, the ocean and inland water or the bio-economy.
Did you know that you could have opportunities within other areas? For calls for proposals from other societal challenges that might be of interest for the health sector, please check the SYNERGIES here.
For other specific instruments please see our section SMEs : Menu EU Funding >> SMEs
EUROSTARS is a transnational funding scheme from the EUREKA Programme. Its aim is to help “R&D performing SMEs” whatever the sector to get their innovation faster to the market and lead international R&D projects. You can contact INNOVIRIS for more information. EUROSTARS-2 is open to all sectors.
ACQUEAU is a cluster of the Eureka Network. It is an industry driven instrument dedicated to water related technologies and innovation. It is a transnational funding instrument, whereby member states organize joint calls for proposals based on a common innovation agenda. The application process is organized by an international secretariat and funding comes from regional bodies according to their eligibility and financial rules (Innoviris in Brussels Region Capital).
LIFE is a funding instrument from DG Environment that co-funds the test and demonstration of innovative approaches, services, technologies. The main difference with Horizon 2020 is that the projects under LIFE must be oriented towards public sector. Typically they will be implemented via public private consortia. Market replication oriented innovation will be excluded from LIFE as funded under Horizon 2020.
JPI URBAN EUROPE & CLIMATE
Joint Programming Initiatives (JPI) are transnational funding whereby member states organize joint calls for proposals based on a common research agenda. The application process is organized by an international secretariat and funding comes from regional bodies according to their eligibility and financial rules.
- JPI Urban Europe calls for proposals can be of interest for the Greentech sector: it aims at co-funding projects that promote an attractive, sustainable and economically viable urban areas.
Your contact in Brussels: INNOVIRIS.
- JPI Climate: BELSPO is member of the JPI Climate and as such can provide co-funding to French and Flemmish speaking community. JPI Climate targets trans-disciplinary research projects active in climate services development and deployment, climate predictions, sustainable society transformation in the face of climate change, tools for decision making under climate change.